Little Egret around Delhi Public School Tapi at Surat:
(Please wait for a few seconds while the photos load onto the gallery. This may depend on your internet speed)
Scientific Name :Egretta garzetta
Kingdom : Animalia
Phylum : Chordata
Class : Aves
Order : Pelecaniformes
Family : Ardeidae
Genus : Egretta
Species : E. garzetta
How do I identify these birds:
Observe the bird in the photo gallery above and note the following:
- It is about 55-65 cms long
- It is a slim and graceful bird
- It has a slim black bill
- Its plumage is all white and in the breeding season the adult has prominent plumes on nape, breast and mantle
- It has black legs with yellow feet
- Its lores (the bare skin between the bill and eyes) becomes red or blue yellowish during courtship
- It has a wingspan of about 88-106 cms
- They make various croaking and bubbling calls at their breeding colonies and produce a harsh alarm call when disturbed but generally silent
- They fly like a heron with the neck pulled in and with steady wing beats
- Both male and female are similar
- Juveniles are similar to non-breeding adults but have greenish-black legs and duller yellow feet.
Where do I find these birds :
- They are very common in the fields around DPS Tapi and DPS Surat and all around Surat especially in the outskirts.
- There are found in marshlands, paddy fields.
- It feeds on fish, insects, frogs and small reptiles.
- They generally nest between July -August. The nest is a shallow platform made of twigs, straw and leaves. It roosts on trees.
Local Names :
Hindi : Kilchia, Karchia bagla
Bengali : Chhota korche bak
Assamese : Teteri bog
Tamil : Chinna vellai kokku