White-breasted Waterhen found near Delhi Public School Tapi at Surat:
(Please wait for a few seconds while the photo gallery loads. This may depend on your internet speed.)
Scientific Name : Amaurornis phoenicurus
Kingdom : Animalia
Phylum : Chordata
Class : Aves
Order : Gruiformes
Family : Rallidae
Genus : Amaurornis
Species : A. phoenicurus
How to identify this bird:
- It is about 32 cms long
- The adult bird has slaty grey upper parts
- It has a very prominent white face, forelock and breast
- It has a long leg
- It has a stumpy tail which has a bright rusty red under the tail
- Juvenile has greyish face, fore-neck and breast and olive brown upper parts.
Observe the photo gallery above and check all the features mentioned above and also identify the juvenile one.
Where do I find this bird:
- It is generally found single or in pairs in marshes and thick cover near reeds, close to pools, lakes and ditches.
- You can find them on the way to DPS Tapi along the roadside ditches where there is a thick growth of leaves of lily.
- You can also see them cross the road many times when there is no traffic on the road.
- It wanders all-around during monsoon when low-lying areas are filled with water.
- It feeds on Worms, insects, grains, molluscs and shoots of marsh plants and paddy.
- It is ordinarily a shy and silent bird but becomes noisy during the breeding season.
- It makes loud, hoarse grunts, croaks and chuckles which slowly becomes monotonous like the sound of the Coppersmith barbet’s but higher in key and faster in tempo. A kook-kook-kook sound.
- Before making calls in goes up on top of a bush where it can get a good view of the surroundings without exposing itself.
- It nests during June – October during the monsoon. It makes its nest in bushes near water with twigs and creeper stems.
Hindi : Dahak, Dawak, Dauk
Gujarati : Davak
Marathi : Kuku kombdi
Bengali : Panpaira
Assamese : Pani Duboi
Malayalam : Kula kozhi
Tamil : Kanan Kozhi