Cotton Teal also called as Cotton Pygmy-Goose is found near Delhi Public School Tapi at Surat.
(Please wait for a few seconds while the photos load onto the gallery. This may depend on your internet speed)
Scientific Name: Nettapus coromandelianus
Kingdom : Animalia
Phylum : Chordata
Class : Aves
Order : Anseriformes
Family : Anatidae
Genus : Nettapus
Species : N. coromandelianus
How to identify this bird :
- The Cotton Teal is the smallest wild duck found in India about 30 -37 cms long.
- It has a short bill which is like a goose and is deep at the base.
- The birds (both male and female) have more white on their plumage.
- However the male bird is glossy black above with white head, neck and underparts. Please observe the photo gallery above carefully.
- The male also has a black cap, and black breast-band.
- The female bird is paler.
- The male has broad white band across wing, and female has white trailing edge to wing.
- In non-breeding plumage the male bird resembles the female except for his white wing bar.
- The eclipse male and female have dark stripe through eye.
Where do I find this bird:
- Cotton Teal are generally found in small flocks in ponds which are covered with vegetation near DPS Tapi.
- Sometimes you can find them in wet paddy fields etc.
- They get used to human and vehicular movement if they are not molested. So you can observe them comfortably at a distance for a long time without them feeling shy and flying away.
- They mainly feed on vegetable matter but also insects, crustaceans etc.
- They nest during July-September by making a nest on natural hollows in tree trunks near water lined with grass, feathers etc.
Local Names :
Hindi : Ablak, Dubaru, Rahwara
Gujarati : Kalwelio
Bengali : Bamuniya hans
Telugu : Nalla chiluwa
Tamil : Kurungalian