Montagu’s Harrier is found near Delhi Public School Tapi at Surat. (Please wait for a few seconds while the photos load onto the gallery. This may depend on your internet speed)
Scientific Name : Circus pygargus
Kingdom : Animalia
Phylum : Chordata
Class : Aves
Order : Accipitriformes
Family : Accipitridae
Genus : Circus
Species : C. pygargus
How to identify this bird:
- The male Montagu’s Harrier is an ashy grey hawk (you can see this in the photo gallery above).
- Its wings are long, pointed and narrow and has black tips which are visible clearly when they fly and reach the tail tip..
- It has a grey throat and its breast is white below.
- The male has black band across secondaries and extensive black on underside of primaries and rufous stripes on its belly and underwing coverts.
- The female is brown with a buff coloured, owl like ruff round head.It has evenly barred underside to primaries with dark trailing edge.
- The juvenile has unstressed rufous underparts and unnerving-coverts, and darker secondaries than female.
Where do I find this bird:
- Around DPS Tapi you can see this bird flying gracefully over grasslands and standing crops during winter.
- More chances of seeing this bird if you go further from DPS Tapi on the Dandi road.
- The Mantagu’s Harrier prefers to be on the ground and not on trees or bushes.
- It feeds on insects, reptiles, small birds and mammals.
Hindi : Pattai, Dastamal, Girgit-mar
Bengali : Math Cheel
Telugu : Pilli gadda, Tella chappe gadda
Tamil : Poonai parundu